Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Very Special Valentine's Day Greetings!


A very Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

As this day comes around I've been thinking of the many examples of true love from Jane Austen's novels. My mind especially falls on Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice.


"Dearest, loveliest Elizabeth!"


When Mr. Darcy first proposes to Elizabeth she rejects him but by the time of his second proposal he has shown himself much more worthy of her returned love and admiration. Elizabeth thanks him for all of his kindness to her family and his reply simply is:

"If you will thank me," he replied, "let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you." 
- Mr. Darcy, from Chapter 58 of Pride and Prejudice


In the 2005 film adaptation of Pride & Prejudice they translate this part from the book as:
"You must know, surely you must know it was all for you." 
- Mr. Darcy, Pride & Prejudice (2005)



Truly the ultimate example of love was shown by God our Creator sending his only son Jesus Christ to earth to take the punishment for our sins. As Jesus died on the cross and as He three days later came alive again and rose from the grave His actions spoke to us "I thought only of you". And as He continues to gently call sinners to accept His gift of  forgiveness and eternal life His words are "surely you must know it was all for you."

"This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." - I John 4:10 NIV

My prayer for you on this Valentine's Day is not chocolates and sweet nothings, my prayer is that you have accepted Jesus Christ's free gift of forgiveness from your sins. Having Him as your Lord and Savior is the sweetest gift you'll ever receive! 


Very Truly Your's, 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful thoughts. Happy Valentines Day!

Simply Shelley said...

A beautiful Valentine post...thank you so much for sharing....Jesus will always be my one true Valentine :)
Blessings

Ella said...

Amen!

annewalker said...

I love this post, very inspirational and very nice thoughts! My best Valentines day wishes to you and to all readers of this blog. More power!

Anne Walker
http://messages.365greetings.com/holiday/valentines-day/valentines-day-messages.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...