Saturday, February 21, 2015

Newsflash: Love and Friendship


Attention all my Janeite friends! Another Jane Austen adaptation is in production!
Lady Susan is finally getting adapted for the big screen! I'm rather excited because I really enjoy this story written in letters, but a bit worried that they could take a bad spin on it and leave out the satire and wit that is Jane Austen's genius. I'm not familiar with the script writer or other production crew, but I know they are filming in Ireland now!

Story: Set in the 1790s, Love and Friendship centers on beautiful widow Lady Susan Vernon, who has come to the estate of her in-laws to wait out colorful rumors about her dalliances circulating through polite society. Whilst there, she decides to secure a husband for herself and her rather reluctant debutante daughter, Frederica.


Title: Instead of calling it Lady Susan this production is being called Love and Friendship. It is unclear why they have decided to use the title of one of Jane Austen's Juvenalia works, but it sort of makes sense since it like Lady Susan is written in letters and Love and Friendship is really what this story is all about. Mags at AustenBlog had some interesting thoughts on the title too.


Actors: Here are the actors listed on the IMDb page.

Kate Beckinsale as Lady Susan Vernon
She was Emma Woodhouse in Emma (1997) and is no stranger to period dramas. And now, at the age of 42, I am excited to see her portray Jane Austen's anti-heroine. She has the charm and the presence to capture Lady Susan to a tea!

Chloë Sevigny as Alicia Johnson
I am not familiar with this American actress but apparently she started out as a model/designer and this may be her first period drama. She looks good in the period costume below and I can see her being the gossipy best friend of Lady Susan. 

Xavier Samuel as Reginald De Courcy
This Australian actor's claim to fame is the Twightlist Saga but he has been in period dramas before and is the right age for Reginald. 

Stephen Fry as Mr. Johnson
I certainly never thought to see Mr. Fry in a Jane Austen adaptation but this story is different from Jane Austen's other novels and Mr. Johnson is similar to a Mr. Bennet character. 

Emma Greenwell as Catherine Vernon
I can't say I've ever seen her act but she has the right look for Catherine and funnily enough she is set to also play Caroline Bingley in Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. I hope they stay true to Jane Austen's character and make her the kind compassionate friend that Frederica needs.

Morfydd Clark as Frederica Vernon
This actress with the neat Welsh name is fairly new to the screen but she's not only lined up to play Frederica but also Georgiana Darcy in Pride & Prejudice and Zombies. I'm interested to see how they portray Frederica, hopefully as the sweet young lady that Jane Austen created.

I'm very pleased to see Mr. Fleet in yet a third Jane Austen related film (Sense & Sensibility 1995, Death Comes To Pemberley) and another period drama! I'm hopefully that he will play Sir Reginald De Courcy, father of Reginald and Catherine.

A wonderful actress, Jemma has portrayed Lady Bertram in Mansfield Park (2007) and has been in other period dramas. I'm thinking she will probably play Lady Catherine De Courcy mother of Reginald and Catherine, but there's a couple other roles she could play including Mrs. Manwaring whose husband Lady Susan entices.

I've really enjoyed him on a few British panel shows and I have to say that this guy is comic genius. I'm picturing him as Sir James Martin, the blundering gentleman who wants to marry Frederica, but he'd be equally as good playing Mr. Manwaring or even Charles Vernon.

He's been in a couple small period drama series but nothing major. Not sure what character he might play but it could be Charles Vernon or Sir James Martin, maybe Mr. Manwaring. 

Not sure who she is set to play but I'm picturing her as either Miss Maria Manwaring or Frederica's teacher Miss Summers. Doesn't look like she's been in any period dramas but her name appears on the IMDb page.

Ross Mac Mahon as Owen
Firstly I'm not sure who this Owen character is, unless he's a servant or a friend of Reginald's. He's not on this handy dandy list of Lady Susan characters.


Production Photos:
Photos of actors in their costumes are already popping up! Costumes seem to be from the late 1700's which perfectly suits the time that Jane Austen wrote Lady Susan. Photos come from three different interesting articles: one, two, three. The photos seem like they might be from a scene towards the end of the story.
Xavier Samuel as Reginald De Courcy

Stephen Fry as Mr. Johnson

Chloë Sevigny as Alicia Johnson

Chloë Sevigny as Alicia Johnson

Chloë Sevigny & Kate Beckinsale

Chloë Sevigny & Kate Beckinsale

Kate Beckinsale as Lady Susan

Kate Beckinsale & Chloë Sevigny


All in all the film is looking like it will be good!

I am currently rereading Love and Freindship to see if it has any similarities to Lady Susan but other than the letters there isn't. I will be rereading Lady Susan next because it's been a while and it is brilliant! :)


Have you read Lady Susan?
What do you think of this cast?


14 comments:

Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Oh, Thank you for sharing this, Laurie! I have not read this book, but it looks interesting. It seems like it has been forever since a wonderful new Jane Austen production has been made for the theater and the cast looks absolutely wonderful! Can't wait to see this!

Naomi Pitts said...

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I'm so so so excited! Finally! I have never read Lady Susan, so I don't know the story, but I know I'll be wanting to watch this. Such an amazing cast! I'M SO EXCITED!

(Seriously, I had to make sure twice it wasn't April the first, haha)

~ Naomi

Evangeline said...

Miss Laurie you are back! How delightful!!! Oooooooooh this looks so AMAZING!! XD
~Evie

A Candle to Read By said...

I have not read Lady Susan--I will have to look into that. I hope this production is positive.

Melody said...

Excited about this!! I'll definitely have to finally buckle down and read Lady Susan, haha.

Unknown said...

Oh thanks for bringing this to my attention, I hadn't heard of it yet. I'm currently rereading everything Jane's written :)

Hayden said...

oooh! I did not know about this. Maybe I'll re-read Lady Susan in preparation :)

Ella said...

Thanks for letting us know about this Miss Laurie!!!
It's exciting to know directors are looking at Jane Austen's minor works.

Anonymous said...

I have never read Lady Susan or Love and Friendship. I guess I need to get reading. I love Jane Austen and have made period clothing as well. I do have a book I bought a few years ago that has a whole collection of Jane Austen novels in one volume. Thanks for the information. I will be looking forward to this production.

Elisa said...

Awesome! Something to look forward down the road.

I have an older Penguin Classics edition (copyright 1974) of "Lady Susan," "The Watsons," and "Sanditon" compiled together.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog...I saw you thrue other bloggers, i always read or follow blogs that share the same hobbys...thanks for sharing...blessings

Matilda Mi said...

Hello! I know you have lots to do in your outside-the-blog life and also in keeping up this fantastic blog, but anyway, I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award! It could be that someone has nominated you already, but if that isn't so and you feel like doing this, you can take a look here: http://musicandmymind.blogspot.fi/2015/03/blogger-recognition-award.html Bye :)

Unknown said...

I haven't read it (I've read everything else by her, though) but this looks great! I love the costumes already!

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Laurie,

Just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for an award on my blog, Here is the link: http://madasahatter01.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/blogger-recognition-award.html

-Abi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...