Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sunday Ponderings

Photobucket

Spent a lazy afternoon with my family with time to rest and reflect on the Lord and His blessings. Hope you all had a good Lord's day too!

This Sunday morning my pastor started a series in Sunday School on the book of Psalms and he was explaining some of the Hebrew words in the titles. One word in the title for Psalm 46 caught my attention and I decided to take a closer look.

Psalm 46

"To the chief Musician of the sons of Korah.

A song upon Alamoth"

So 'Alamoth' means that the Psalm is to be sung in a higher range by sopranos particularly by unmarried young ladies - virgins. That's what caught my attention and I wondered what the Lord through David had to say to virgins - what would He have me sing?

There are three Selahs, or points to rest and reflect on what has been sung before, so I'll break up the 'thoughts' into three sections.

1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

Because God is my refuge and strength and my help I will not fear. Even though the earth be destroyed and all nature rile against me. Though the earth be in torment still I will trust in my Father.

4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

I wasn't quite sure at first where this idea was going but I saw this picture: I am the river flowing pure and clean that makes Heaven ("the city of God") and my Father glad, pleased, proud.
When God is with me I shall not be moved, God will help me, come to my aid "right early", "when the morning appeareth". The heathen and kingdoms of this world are continually moving and changing - never constant. God is forever, He speaks and the earth answers Him and does what He commands. "The Lord of hosts is with us"; the same God who watched over and directed Jacob is my refuge. The faithful God is my help.

8Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

"Come, behold the works of the Lord". what things He has brought to naught in the earth. He makes wars to cease, He breaks the weapons or the warrior and the enemy. Then one of my favorite verses: "Be still and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth." And again this comfort: the same God of Jacob and other heroes of the faith is my God and my refuge.

A good reminder to trust God with my everything, live my life pleasing to Him and listen to His voice speaking to me in the busyness of this world. When I am weak He is strong. He is my refuge and my strength when I feel discouraged and unable to bear what comes my way.

Thank you Lord for your many blessings and especially for your love. In you I find all my needs are met, my longings are fulfilled. Help me to live as a daughter who you can be proud of today and every day.

Selah - meditate on this. May the Lord bless you as you start your week.



Mood:
optimistic
Optimistic

1 comment:

Andrea said...

This is one of my favorite Psalms. It is so beautiful, and your post is lovely.

Blessings to you, Laurie,

Andrea

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...