There's lots of new period dramas being filmed but these two upcoming productions caught my attention and I wondered what y'all thought of them.
According to The Guardian this new ITV drama is set to be an 8 part series that focuses on Queen Victoria's early life "...from her accession to the throne at 18 through to her courtship and marriage to Prince Albert." Also The Mirror said that "The series will begin with a 90-minute episode followed by seven one-hour episodes."
Cast will include: Jenna Coleman as Queen Victoria, Rufus Sewell as prime minister Lord Melbourne, Paul Rhys as Sir John Conroy, Peter Firth as the Duke of Cumberland, Catherine Flemming as Queen Victoria's mother the Duchess of Kent, and Eve Myles as Mrs Jenkins (the Queen’s senior dresser). No news yet on who will play Prince Albert or any other important historic characters.
My Thoughts: Queen Victoria is my favorite British monarch so I'm very excited about them making a new series about her life. I'm a fan of Jenna Coleman's work from Doctor Who (TV series) and Death Comes To Pemberley (2013) so I'm very pleased with her being cast as the Queen (she also looks a little like the real Queen Victoria)! Really hoping of course that this series is more like my favorite Victoria & Albert (2001) or The Young Victoria (2009) and steers clear of inappropriate content. But either way I am loving the glimpses at the costumes!!!
Elizabeth Bennet meets guts and gore...erm, not my cup of tea really. However I did enjoy watching the first half of the first trailer that has been released. I think I'd like to see a version with all of the extra blood and gore cut out, that would be interesting. The actors seem fairly well cast for their roles so it will be interesting to see what fan videos come out of it. I haven't read the book but I did attempt reading Sense & Sensibility and Sea Monsters and that wasn't too bad really.
My Thoughts On The Cast:
- Lily James as Elizabeth Bennet - Really enjoyed her as Cinderella (2015) and her career seems to have just taken off with Downton Abbey, P&P&Z and a new version of War & Peace! I actually quite like her looks as Lizzy - dark hair, fine eyes, youthful figure - and she does look 21 as Lizzy is supposed to be.
- Sam Riley as Mr. Darcy - I've never seen him act but he doesn't seem quite handsome enough to be Mr. Darcy, and the character in this film seems far too dark and mysterious.
- Matt Smith as Mr. Collins - I think this is the most brilliant casting out of all of these actors, he has such awkward comedic timing!
- Douglas Booth as Mr. Bingley - Really enjoyed him as Pip in Great Expectations (2011) and I can sort of see him as the kind Mr. Bingley.
- Jack Huston as Mr. Wickham - You might recognize him as Doctor Charles Haden in Miss Austen Regrets. He would definitely make a charming Mr. Wickham.
- Charles Dance as Mr. Bennet - Not quite the Mr. Bennet of the book, but this version seems to be a clever warrior.
- Bella Heathcote as Jane Bennet - She looks very sweet!
- Ellie Bamber as Lydia Bennet - A red-headed Lydia is a neat idea! And I did look it up to see if she's related to actor David Bamber (Mr. Collins in P&P 1995) but she's not.
- Morfydd Clark as Georgina - I assume this is supposed to be Georgiana Darcy? Either way this actress is also up and coming with Arthur & George, P&P&Z and she'll star as Frederica Vernon in Love and Friendship!
So what do you think of these two period dramas that are coming out?