It's seems like some time since I've done a game that is Jane Austen related so here is a little quiz all about the clergymen in Jane Austen novels. The questions are an assortment of multiple choice and write-in. I tried to keep it simple but also add a challenge for my fellow devoted Janeites out there! :)
To Play: Answer the questions below to the best of your ability and leave your answers in a comment. This time you have only one chance to answer each question so choose wisely! I'll respond with your score. Answers will be posted next Saturday.
Scoring: 10 points for each correct answer. A high score of 250 points can be earned.
Jane Austen Clergymen Quiz:
1. Which two of Jane Austen's brothers were clergymen?
2. In Emma, who was the vicar in Highbury before Mr. Elton took the job?
3. In Sense and Sensibility, who offers Edward Ferrars a living at the rectory on their estate?
4. What is the first name of Captain Wentworth's clergyman brother in Persuasion?
5. In Northanger Abbey, what is the name of the village where Henry Tilney serves as vicar?
6. Who was vicar at Mansfield Parsonage before Dr. Grant comes in?
7. What time of year was Mr. Collins ordained as a minister in Pride and Prejudice?
c. St. Valentine's
8. In Northanger Abbey, what is the name of the village where Catherine Morland's father serves as vicar?
9. What is the name of Catherine Morland's brother in Northanger Abbey who is studying to be a clergyman?
10. What is the name of Edmund Bertram's college friend in Mansfield Park who he stays with when they are ordained?
a. Mr. Andrews
b. Mr. Rushworth
c. Mr. Owens
d. Mr. Whitmore
11. In Pride and Prejudice what is the name of the village where Mr. Collins is vicar?
12. What is the name of the small living reserved for Edmund in Mansfield Park?
c. Coumb Magna
d. Thornton Lacey
13. Which Pride and Prejudice character was "intended for the church"?
14. What is the first name of Henrietta Musgrove's intended clergyman husband, Mr. Hayter, in Persuasion?
15. Why must Sir Thomas Bertram give the living of Mansfield Vicarage to Dr. Grant instead of giving it to Edmund as he'd promised?
16. Dr. Shirley is a clergyman mentioned in which novel?
c. Sense and Sensibility
d. Mansfield Park
17. In Northanger Abbey, how many children does Reverend Morland have in his vicarage?
18. What is Mr. Elton's first name in Emma?
19. What book does Mr. Collins read to the Bennet girls in Pride and Prejudice?
20. Which character in Mansfield Park tells Edmund Bertram he should go into the law instead of becoming a clergyman?
a. Tom Bertram
b. Mary Crawford
c. Julia Bertram
d. Henry Crawford
21. Who most likely pays a good portion of Mr. Elton's salary in Emma?
a. Mr. Weston
b. Mr. Coxe
c. Mr. Woodhouse
d. Mr. Knightley
22. How did Catherine Morland's brother meet John Thorpe in Northanger Abbey?
23. In Persuasion who says that the curate "Mr. Wentworth was nobody"?
a. Elizabeth Elliot
b. Sir Walter Elliot
c. Lady Russell
d. Mary Musgrove
24. In Northanger Abbey, how long would Isabella Thorpe have had to wait until Catherine Morland's brother could obtain the living as rector and have money enough to marry?
a. 2 months
b. 4 months
c. 2 years
d. 4 years
25. What was the name of Cassandra Austen's clergyman fiance who died as a military chaplain?