To Play: Leave your answers to the questions below in a comment and I'll respond with your score. Please try to answer the questions off the top of your head, no looking up answers. You may only answer each question once so keep that in mind when commenting.
Scoring: Each correctly answered question is worth 10 points. The highest score you can earn is 300 points. The player(s) with the highest score by Thursday, December 20th will be awarded a prize button.
Jane Austen Trivia Quiz Questions
1. Where was Jane Austen born?
2. Name at least four of Jane Austen's seven siblings.
3. What nickname did Jane Austen's father use for her as a baby?
4. What was Jane Austen's mother's maiden name?
5. Which of Jane Austen's siblings' names did she not use in a major novel?
6. Which Juvenilia work takes place partly in Scotland?
a. Lesley Castle
b. Love and Friendship
c. Amelia Webster
d. The Three Sisters
7. Which Jane Austen story was the first to be sent to a publisher?
8. How old was Jane Austen when her first novel was published?
9. Which suitor was Jane Austen engaged to for less than a day?
a. Tom Lefroy
b. Brook Edward Bridges
c. Harris Bigg-Wither
d. Charles Hayden
10. Who did Jane Austen dedicate the second edition of Emma to?
11. "Full many a flower is born to blush unseen, And waste it's fragrance on the desert air..." - Which two of Austen's novels contain this quote from Thomas Gray's poem 'Elegy In A Country Churchyard'?
12. Which Austen novel celebrated it's bicentenary in 2011?
a. Pride and Prejudice
c. Sense and Sensibility
d. Mansfield Park
13. What was the name of the book Catherine Morland read in Northanger Abbey and who was the author?
14. In which Jane Austen novel do the events all take place in one town? What is the name of that town?
15. Which of these actors portrayed Mr. Darcy in the BBC 1980's adaptation of Pride and Prejudice?
a. Colin Firth
b. Elliot Cowan
c. Matthew Macfadyen
d. Laurence Olivier
e. David Rintoul
16. Which Jane Austen novel contains the expression "Nonsensical Girl!" and who says it?
17. Which two Austen novels were published after her death?
18. Which Jane Austen heroine receives marriage proposals on four separate occasions throughout her life story?
a. Elizabeth Bennet
b. Fanny Price
c. Emma Woodhouse
d. Anne Elliot
19. Can you name the three Austen heroes who are clergymen?
20. Which Jane Austen novel has two different endings?
21. Which of Jane Austen's heroines "is in general reckoned to draw extremely well"?
a. Catherine Morland
b. Elinor Dashwood
c. Anne Elliot
d. Emma Woodhouse
22. How many of Jane Austen's major novels were named after country houses?
23. Which Jane Austen novel contains the quote "Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery"?
24. What is the name of the heroine in The Watsons?
25. Which two major novels prominently feature Navy officers?
26. Which major Austen novel has the least film adaptations?
a. Mansfield Park
c. Northanger Abbey
d. Sense and Sensibility
27. Name an actress who has portrayed Jane Austen in a film.
28. Which classic author asked their friend: "Why do you like Jane Austen so very much? I am puzzled on that point."?
a. Charlotte Bronte
b. Charles Dickens
c. Elizabeth Gaskell
d. Sir Walter Scott
29. How old was Jane Austen when she died?
30. Which classic poet said: "Miss Austen understood the smallness of life to perfection. She was a great artist, equal in her small sphere to Shakespeare..."?
a. Robert Browning
b. Alfred Lord Tennyson
c. Emily Dickinson
d. Robert Frost