Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee

Photobucket

Jesus, the very thought of Thee
With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far Thy face to see,
And in Thy presence rest.

Nor voice can sing, nor heart can frame,
Nor can the memory find
A sweeter sound than Thy blest Name,
O Saviour of mankind!

O Hope of every contrite heart,
O Joy of all the meek,
To those who fall, how kind Thou art!
How good to those who seek!

But what to those who find? Ah, this
Nor tongue nor pen can show:
The love of Jesus, what it is
None but His loved ones know.

Jesus, our only Joy be thou,
As Thou our Prize wilt be;
Jesus, be Thou our Glory now,
And through eternity.

-Words: translated by Edward Caswall, 1849 from a Latin Hymn written in the Eleventh Century
-Music: by John B. Dykes 1866



Sorry I haven't posted lately. I've been working on a few period film reviews but haven't finished them yet. But yesterday I had a ladies day out driving and going to thrift stores. I found a lovely hymnal from the 1940's which is so full of lovely old hymns and just wanted to share one of those with you!

I pray all of you have a blessed Lord's day!

2 comments:

Lily said...

what an uplifting hymn! glad to hear you're writing reviews, how fun =)

xo
Lily

Little Ladybug said...

Dear Laurie,

Thank you so much for that thoughtful post! I LOVE the picture that you have at the beginning of the post. :)

I hope you are having a wonderful day...

Cheers,

Hannah Elise...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...