Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sussex Carol





Carol History: The Sussex Carol is a Christmas carol popular in Britain, sometimes referred to by its first line On Christmas night all Christians sing. Its words were first published by Luke Wadding, a 17th-century Irish bishop, in a work called Small Garland of Pious and Godly Songs (1684). It is unclear whether Wadding wrote the song or was recording an earlier composition.
Both the text and the tune to which it is now sung were discovered and written down by Cecil Sharp in Buckland, Gloucestershire and Ralph Vaughan Williams, who heard it being sung by a Harriet Verrall of Monk's Gate, near Horsham, Sussex (hence "Sussex Carol"). The tune to which it is generally sung today is the one Vaughan Williams took down from Mrs Verrall and published in 1919. - Wikipedia entry





On Christmas night all Christians sing,
To hear the news the angels bring;
On Christmas night all Christians sing,
To hear the news the angels bring:
News of great joy, news of great mirth,
News of our merciful King’s birth.

Then why should men on earth be sad,
Since our Redeemer made us glad:
Then why should we on earth be sad,
Since our Redeemer made us glad:
When from our sin He set us free,
All for to gain our liberty.

When sin departs before Your grace,
Then life and health come in its place;
When sin departs before Your grace,
Then life and health come in its place;
Angels and men with joy may sing,
All for to see the newborn King.

All out of darkness we have light
Which made the angels sing this night;
All out of darkness we have light
Which made the angels sing this night:
“Glory to God and peace to men,
Now and forevermore. Amen.”

-Words: Tra­di­tio­nal Eng­lish car­ol.
Music: Sus­sex Car­ol, tra­di­tion­al Eng­lish car­ol, ar­ranged by Ralph Vaugh­an Will­iams, 1919

5 comments:

Ella said...

I can play this song on the piano.
I really like it:)

Melody said...

Did you notice this song in A Christmas Carol? =)

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Ella,
How lovely that you can play this carol on the piano! Do you play many Christmas carols? Carols might be the most fun to play (even though I don't play at all any more).

Melody,
Oh yeah! I forgot that they sang this carol in A Christmas Carol! Maybe that's why the tune has been running through my mind the last few days! :)

You ladies both have the same blogger profile photo - "nonsensical girls!" ;D

Melody said...

Haha, I know! Miss Dashwood nick-named me 'Nonsensical Girl' and so I couldn't resist making that my profile picture. ;-)

I like this song. =) This year I put one version of each Christmas song I had on various CD's on my favorites list on my MP3 player. I wrote down the various songs and 'rated' them so I would know which were my favorites; it was a good thing because now I know the names of more Christmas carols! =) So when I was listening to the soundtrack for 'A Christmas Carol' (it's called 'On Christmas Night' on there) I said "Oh! That's The Sussex Carol!" ;-)

It's at the very beginning of the movie, and later on too.

Ella said...

I can play We three kings,It came upoun a midnight clear,Go tell it on the mountain,and a few others.
Their really fun to play.
I noticed a few days ago that me and Melody have the same profile picture:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...