Saturday, November 7, 2015

Mr. Holmes (2015)

It's lovely to see Sherlock Holmes themed films and TV shows popping up recently! Mr. Holmes (2015) tells the story of the famous detective's last case, the case of the missing memories. I went to see this beautiful film back in September and completely enjoyed every delightful moment!

Story: An aged, retired Sherlock Holmes, deals with early dementia, as he tries to remember his final case and a woman, the memory of whom still haunts him. He also befriends a fan, the young son of his housekeeper, who wants him to work again. Based on the novel A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin.



Costumes: The main story is set in the 1920s (I think) but there are flashbacks to the early 1900's with some lovely costumes. I'd say the costumes were not extraordinary but they were nice and fitting for the time periods they were representing.



Any Objectionable Content? I'll be very honest with you and say that since I saw it over a month ago it is hard to recall. I remember expecting there to be a major scene or theme that would be inappropriate but overall it was quite a clean film. There are probably some uses of God's name taken in vain, but there isn't any mature content. There is a mystery to be solved and a character does die, but the body is not shown. There is also an accident involving a child that might be distressing to young children. This film is rated PG which is very clean for a film of this type.



Recognizable Actors:

  • Ian McKellen as  Sherlock Holmes - I was concerned that his Sherlock Holmes might be something like Gandalf or be too much like the actor, but as I watched I found myself wishing I could have seen this elderly version of Sherlock Holmes when he was on the trail of a master criminal! Known for: Mr. Creakle in David Copperfield (1999), Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit films. Cast as Cogsworth in the live action Beauty and the Beast (2017)!
  • Laura Linney as  Mrs. Munro - As Sherlock Holmes' housekeeper she is cautious and protective of her son, yet very kind. Known for: hosting Masterpiece Classic, The House of Mirth and John Adams TV series (haven't seen either so can't recommend them).
  • Milo Parker as Roger Munro - Curious young son of Mr. Holmes' housekeeper, probably my favorite character in the film! This young actor hasn't been in any other period dramas so far but he will be excellent in any future roles.   
  • Hattie Morahan as Ann Kelmot - The mysterious lady from Mr. Holmes' past, she is amazing as this character as in all of her roles! Known for: Elinor Dashwood in Sense & Sensibility (2008), Lark Rise To Candleford, Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye and Arthur & George (another Holmes related film!). Cast as Agathe in the live action Beauty and the Beast (2017)!
  • Patrick Kennedy as Thomas Kelmot - A fairly small role but it's neat to see Richard Carstone from Bleak House (2005) popping up in other period films! Known for: Richard Carstone in Bleak House (2005), The 39 Steps (2008), War Horse and Downton Abbey (Season 4).
  • Philip Davis as Inspector Gilbert - Another Bleak House actor! This role as an inspector was quite refreshing. Known for: Mr. Smallweed in Bleak House (2005), Nicholas Nickleby (2002), Marple: Sleeping Murder, Lark Rise to Candleford, Sherlock (Season 1), Merlin (TV series) and Poldark (TV series).
  • Frances de la Tour as Madame Schirmer - This actress is easily recognizable for me but I can never remember what period dramas she has been in. Known for: Poirot: Death On The Nile, Marple: The Moving Finger, Alice In Wonderland (2010), Hugo (2011) and Into The Woods (2014). 
  • John Sessions as Mycroft Holmes - A short appearance but quite well cast. Known for: Princess Cariboo (1994), Marple: The Moving Finger, Oliver Twist (2007) and Sherlock (Season 1).




My Thoughts: I really did not expect to be quite so pleased with Mr. Holmes (2015). I thought it would be a "nice" film, but what I found was a clever story that drew me in and matched quite well with the stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. Star actor Ian McKellen really brought the great detective to life and helped him seem as real as readers have felt him to be for generations. He also brought tears to my eyes as he showed the struggles of growing old. The friendship between Mr. Holmes and Roger is quite fun to see develop, and it's always nice to see a film have a happy ending! I'm very much looking forward to watching this film again soon!



My Recommendation: I highly recommend this film if you are a fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories or any of these actors. It is a delightful film and for some odd reason reminds me of Miss Potter (2005) in the way the story it is told. Mr. Holmes (2015) is definitely being added to my recommended period films list!


Have you seen Mr. Holmes (2015)?
What did you think of Ian McKellen's performance as Sherlock Holmes?



5 comments:

Vesper said...

looking forward to watching

Naomi Pitts said...

Really want to watch this now! I've seen the trailer, and it looks really good. Not particularly my general genre, but I think it would really surprise me pleasantly!

Oh, look, it's Elinor. :-)

Thank you for the lovely review, Miss Laurie! Always lovely to read your posts. :-)

~ Naomi

Aliska said...

I'm so glad you did a review of this movie. When I saw it advertised months ago I wasn't sure if I should watch it or not. But with your recommendation, I will. It has been released at Redbox. I like those $1 rentals. :) Anyhoo, thanks for this review. I appreciated your reviews and rely on your opinion as I think we have some of the same tastes.

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Aliska, I'm so glad this review was helpful to you! I hope you enjoy the film as much as I did. :)

Hamlette (Rachel) said...

I really want to see this -- I read the book and it did NOT have a happy ending At All, and I really disliked it as a result, but since you make the 2nd or 3rd blogger who has assured me that this ends well, I want to give it a try. Happily my library has it, so I'll get it eventually!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...