Monday, January 26, 2009

In Remembrance

Photobucket

This post is in loving memory of Miss Velma who I cared for this past spring. Her health had recently been declining and the Lord took her home on Saturday. I praise the Lord for the opportunity to meet this godly woman and learn from her. She was one of the few old New England stock left who remember taking a horse and sleigh to school in snow up to your ears.
The above painting, "Barn Door" by Jefferey T Larson, reminds me of Miss Velma in it's idea of youth with wisdom beyond her years and a scene of simplicity but hard work.

Some may remember my post from December, Beautiful Hands, which featured a photo of Miss Velma's hands. Some things her hand's touched: a mean game of cards, knit stockings, garden hoe, apples from the orchard, horse's mane, homemade jams and pies, her grandchildren, cookies for her visitors, her hometown news paper, and the hearts and lives of countless friends and family.

Miss Velma was 94 years and had lost her husband Clive just a few short years before. I love the photo below of her looking out of a window, her eyes full of hope. This is how I imagine her just waiting for the day when she'd go home to be with her heavenly father and meet again her loving husband, father, mother who died young from pneumonia, siblings and some dear friends.

Photobucket

I thank the Lord again for letting me know Miss Velma on this earth, tasting her generosity and friendship. I can't wait to see her again in heaven and sing with her the praises of our Savior.

"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him." - I Thessalonians 4:13-14 KJV


Mood:
nostalgic
Nostalgic

1 comment:

The Editrix said...

I hope you're not getting sick of me giving you awards. :-)

http://ribbonsoflight.blogspot.com/2009/01/kreativ-blogger-award.html

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...