Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Joyful Easter!



"For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"


- I Corinthians 15:3-4
It's Resurrection Day! Easter is the most important holiday to the believing Christian because it is the day when we take time to celebrate and praise the Lord for sending Jesus Christ to die to take the punishment for our sins. When Jesus rose again from the gave he showed that He had power over death, sin and hell. Because He lives we can live also!

Here are a few of my favorite hymns to sing on Easter:



Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed?
(At The Cross)


Alas! and did my Savior bleed
And did my Sovereign die?
Would He devote that sacred head
For sinners such as I?

Refrain
At the cross, at the cross where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away,
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

Was it for crimes that I had done
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give my self away
’Tis all that I can do.


Words:
Isaac Watts, Hymns and Spir­it­u­al Songs, 1707; Ralph E. Hud­son wrote the re­frain in 1885.

Music:
Mar­tyr­dom, Hugh Wil­son, 1800




Low In The Grave He Lay

Low in the grave He lay, Jesus my Savior,
Waiting the coming day, Jesus my Lord!

Vainly they watch His bed, Jesus my Savior;
Vainly they seal the dead, Jesus my Lord!

Death cannot keep its Prey, Jesus my Savior;
He tore the bars away, Jesus my Lord!

Refrain
Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o’er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!

Words & Music:
Ro­bert Low­ry, 1874; ap­peared in Bright­est and Best, by Ro­bert Low­ry and W. How­ard Doane (New York: Big­low & Main, 1875)




May the Lord richly bless your Easter Sunday as you praise Him for giving us new life in Jesus!

Rejoicing with you,
Miss Laurie

2 comments:

Miss Morgan said...

What a lovely blog! May you be blessed beyond measure!

Blessings,
Miss Morgan

Net - "It's a Wonderful Movie" said...

Happy Easter to You!

Beautiful Post!

God's blessings!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...