Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday - Lead Me To Calvary


“So I saw in my dream, that just as Christian came up to the cross, his burden loosed from off his shoulders, and fell from off his back, and began to tumble; and so continued to do till it came to the mouth of the sepulchre, where it fell in, and I saw it no more.” 
– John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress


Lead Me To Calvary


1. King of my life, I crown Thee now,
Thine shall the glory be;
Lest I forget Thy thorn crowned brow,
Lead me to Calvary.


2. Show me the tomb where Thou wast laid,
Tenderly mourned and wept;
Angels in robes of light arrayed
Guarded Thee whilst Thou slept.


3. Let me like Mary, through the gloom,
Come with a gift to Thee;
Show to me now the empty tomb,
Lead me to Calvary.


4. May I be willing, Lord, to bear
Daily my cross for Thee;
Even Thy cup of grief to share,
Thou hast borne all for me.


Refrain:
Lest I forget Gethsemane,
Lest I forget Thine agony;
Lest I forget Thy love for me,
Lead me to Calvary.


Words: Jen­nie E. Huss­ey, 1921
Music: Wil­liam J. Kirk­pat­rick


The below video includes a lovely rendition of the song with pipe organ and a lady singing through all of the verses and the refrain. Enjoy!




As today is Palm Sunday I've been thinking about this song and from there the image of Christian from Pilgrims's Progress coming to the cross where his burdens were loosed. I pray that you know the Lord as your personal Savior from sin and that you are rejoicing as I am in his sacrifice for us!

God Bless,

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...