Saturday, March 24, 2012

Irish Period Drama Quiz - Answers!


These are the answers to the Irish Period Drama Quiz which I posted last week in honor of St. Patrick's Day.


1. Which character from Jane Austen's Persuasion thinks Captain Wentworth looks Irish?
a. Mr. Musgrove
b. Charles Hayter
c. Lady Dalrymple - at the concert she commented Sir Walter that Captain Wentworth had "More air than one often sees in Bath. Irish, I dare say."
d. Nurse Rook

2. What was the full name of Jane Austen's Irish suitor?
a. Tom William Lafroy
b. Harris Bigg Withers
c. Robert Lewis Fowle
d. Thomas Langlois Lefroy 

3. Which older Disney film features a singing Irish butler?
a. Summer Magic
b. The Happiest Millionaire - Delightful actor Tommy Steele played Irish butler John Lawless who narrates the story and sings songs like 'I'll Always Be Irish' and 'Fortuasity'. Read my review of this fun family musical from last St. Paddy's Day.
c.  Pollyanna
d. The Shaggy Dog

4. Which classic author's father was Irish?
a. Elizabeth Gaskell
b. Charles Dickens
c. Thomas Hardy
d. Charlotte Bronte - Her father Rev. Patrick Bronte was born in Drumballyroney (near Rathfriland), County Down, Ireland.

5. Which period drama talks about Irish immigrant workers?
a. Cranford
b. Oliver Twist
c. North & South - Mr. Thornton hires Irish workers when his Milton employees go on strike.
d. Miss Potter

6. In which Jane Austen novel does a young lady reject her friend's invitations to visit them in Ireland?
a. Pride and Prejudice
b. Mansfield Park
c. Northanger Abbey
d. Emma - Jane Fairfax is invited to visit Mr. & Mrs. Dixon at their home in Ireland but she refuses because she has

7. Which character in The Young Victoria (and Victoria & Albert) is an Irishman?
a. Lord Melbourne
b. Sir Robert Peel
c. Sir John Conroy - He was actually born in Wales to Irish parents. As confidant to Victoria's mother he used his position for self aggrandizement.
d. Baron Stockmar

8. Which of these period drama stars were born in Ireland?
a. Richard Armitage
b. Michael Gambon - He was born in Dublin, Ireland but his family moved to England when he was five years old.
c. Colin Firth
d. Matthew Macfadyen

9. Which of these playwrights was born in Ireland?
a. Oscar Wilde - Born in Dublin Ireland he was the author of comedic plays such as The Importance of Being Earnest and An Ideal Husband.
b. J.M. Barrie
c. William Shakespeare
d. W.H. Auden

10. Which of these classic musicals features main characters from Ireland?
a. Brigadoon
b. My Fair Lady
c. Fiddler On The Roof
d. Finian's Rainbow - Read my review from last St. Paddy's Day.

11. Which of these black & white films features the song 'An Irish Lullaby' (aka 'Too-ra-loo-ra-loo-ra')?
a. Miracle on 34th Street
b. The Bells of St. Mary's
c. Going My Way - Legendary Bing Crosby plays Father O'Malley and sings the famous 'An Irish Lullaby' during the course of the movie.
d. My Man Godfrey

12. Which of these Jane Austen adaptations was filmed entirely in Ireland?
a. Pride & Prejudice (2005)
b. Northanger Abbey (2007) - The scenes where Catherine Morland visits Bath were filmed in Dublin and the scenes at Northanger Abbey were filmed at Lismore Castle in County Waterford, Ireland.
c. Emma (2009)
d. Persuasion (2007)

And here's my answers to the last few questions:


13. Do you have any Irish in your family tree? - No, unfortunately not. I love Irish things so I'd love to marry someone with an Irish surname one day!

14. Have you ever visited Ireland? - No, but I hope to one day because there's so many things I'd love to see!

15. Do you have any favorite Irish songs or singers? - Oh yes! I adore Irish music and have so many favorite singers and songs! Among my favorite singers are the High Kings, Celtic Thunder, Celtic Woman, Anuna, Deanta, Cara Dillon and The Corrs.
Among my favorite Irish songs are Maid of Culmore, Mairi's Wedding, Rocky Road to Dublin, Dulaman, Suil a Ruin,  Red is the Rose, Spanish Lady, Raggle Taggle Gypsy, Caledonia, Black is the Colour, Lagan Love, The Fields of Athenry, Carolina Rua, The Water is Wide, Willie and Mary, I Know My Love, Carrickfergus, I'll Tell Me Ma and The Star of the County Down.

16. Do you do anything special to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? - I usually wear green, eat special food and listen to my favorite Irish music. The last couple of years I've also been posting about Irish things on my blog. :)


Thanks so much to all of you who took the quiz and shared about your interest in Irish things!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...