Saturday, March 12, 2011

Irish Week Ahead!

“The soul needs, not only a resting-place, but a distant land where it may find romance, and those truths that are not clothed in the accustomed, dusty garb of every day.”

—Edith Sitwell, English Eccentrics


I'm not sure I completely understand the above quote but I thought it was interesting. I think I would change the word soul to the word imagination. One of the places where my imagination loves to visit and daydream about is Ireland! Someday I hope to visit Ireland, Scotland, England and Wales but until then I drool over photos like these, listen to beautiful Celtic music and read up on the history of this delightful green isle! 


I'm very excited that St. Patrick's Day is coming up on Thursday! I'll be celebrating all this week with posts about all things Irish! So be on the look-out for posts about Irish related music, history, films, literary characters, quotes and other things. 


So, will you join me by posting some of your favorite Irish things? 


Where does your imagination love to travel? 


Very Truly Your's,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ireland is one of the the places I dream of going some day too. My dad was full blooded Irish and I would love to go and find some relatives- I need to start finding them!

Enjoy your blog!

bee blessed
mary

Miss Laurie said...

Mary,
I wish I had a bit of Irish blood in my family tree but unfortunately I don't. But my love for Ireland (and Scotland) was shared by my paternal grandmother who enjoyed visiting and studying there. So there is that connection.
So glad you enjoy my blog!

~Miss Laurie
Old-Fashioned Charm

Anna Olivia said...

Miss Laurie! :) I am so excited for your Irish Week! As you know, I have a huge affinity for Ireland- I call it my adopted homeland- I even say that half my heart is there, though I've never yet been. hehe!

And I am so incredibly BLESSED by your latest comment on my blog (about Jane Eyre)... especially as you revealed some factors I didn't even notice while I was reading it. Wow. You put everything perfectly, and I agree with you 100%. Thank you for your kindness and understanding! <3 <3 <3 <3

Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!!! :)

Miss Laurie said...

Anna Olivia,
I'm glad you're going to join me for my Irish week. I'm starting right away and I look forward to your comments!
You're very welcome for the Jane Eyre comments! I've never been completely satisfied with the JE story and your post helped me to examine more closely why it bothers me. You are such a blessing dear!

~Miss Laurie :)

JaneGS said...

The brine is cooling for the beef brisket even as we speak--we're making our own corned beef this year!

We've traced my mother's family to Cashel--they immigrated to England in the 1840s and ended up working in the mills in Oldham (makes Gaskell's North and South very personal for me), and then my grandmother immigrated to Canada in 1920 where my mother was born.

My daughter and I visited Dublin in 2009, as the first leg in an Ireland/UK trip, and we loved it. I'm hoping she spends a semester there her junior year in college so I have an iron-clad excuse to go back soon.

Just ordered Frank Delaney's "Ireland" and planning on reading Leon Uris's "Trinity" this year. Loved Edw Rutherford's two-parter, "The Princes of Ireland" and "The Rebels of Ireland."

Erin go Bragh!

Miss Laurie said...

JaneGS, I envy your heritage. Unfortunately I don't have any Irish blood, but that doesn't stop my infatuation with the Emerald Isle! :)
I'll have to look into those books you mentioned. I hope you do get to go back to Ireland! :)

~Miss Laurie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...