Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Shakespeare's Sonnet 29

I'm sorry I've been so late in posting this. I haven't been feeling very well today and couldn't write the film review I wanted to. I'll try again tomorrow. 

Tonight here's a lovely video of actor Matthew Macfadyen acting out Shakespeare's Sonnet 29. I don't know why but this video makes me happy, probably because it has such a happy ending. And I love Matthew's calming voice. He was so good in Pride & Prejudice and especially in Little Dorrit

You can read the sonnet below in it's entirety as you watch. Enjoy!


"When in disgrace with fortune and men’s eyes
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon myself, and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur’d like him, like him with friends possess’d,
Desiring this man’s art, and that man’s scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee,—and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven’s gate;
For thy sweet love remember’d such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings."
-Sonnet 29, William Shakespeare



I hope you're having a good week!


Very Truly Your's

2 comments:

JaneGS said...

Thanks for that wonderful post--I love that poem so much and Matthew Macfadyen read/acted it so beautifully. Really a treasure.

Thanks! That made my day.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL! He is one of my top favorite British actors. What is this from?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...